Problems of roof work: falls from heights
Roof accidents account for a significant proportion of fatalities due to falls from height, both during the construction phase and later during the lifetime of the installations.
Every year there are fatal accidents related to lightweight roofs. Many of the situations occur when a worker steps on a slab or skylight and it breaks, causing the person to fall.
During the construction phase, accidents are often related to workers falling around the perimeter of the roof, through areas being covered and through openings in the parts already built.
On the other hand, during the service life of the installations, there are more cases of accidents related to the breaking of elements
related to the breakage of roof elements (such as light plates and skylights), although there are also cases of falls on the perimeter of the roof.
Identify the risks before starting roofing works
Before carrying out any work on a roof, it is necessary to identify all the hazards and define the preventive measures to be adopted.
These are some of the aspects to be taken into account:
- Weather factors (rain, wind, snow, ice, etc.).
- Existing protection systems and degree of conservation.
- Existence of skylights and fragile elements.
- Condition and type of fragile roofs (fibre cement, fibreglass, plastic derivatives).
- Possibility of falling on the perimeter of the roof and through openings.