Falls from heights: preventive measures
It is clear that the risk of suffering a fall from heights is not exclusive to the construction sector, but it is in this sector where these workplace accidents are more common and dangerous. So it never hurts to review some preventive measures that can be taken to avoid these types of falls.
Falls from heights at Construction sites: General preventive measures
- It is crucial to have a well-studied work method, in which risk factors are considered, respecting criteria of efficiency and quality of work. This working method can be included in a specific occupational risk prevention plan for each work.
- This plan must evaluate all the risks inherent to the activity for each of the different construction activities.
- At the same time, the relevant work equipment must be included to guarantee sufficient protection for workers against the risk of falls from heights.
- If we talk about personal protective equipment, this will consist of a system consisting of a fall arrest harness and a connection subsystem. Obviously, when using a safety harness it is essential to provide the safest anchor points to work perfectly.
Training and information about falls from heights
It is necessary to verify that the operators have received the necessary training and information to carry out their tasks and on the risks they run during the performance of these as well as the way to avoid them.
If we talk about temporary work at height, these can only be carried out when there are weather conditions that do not endanger the integrity of the workers. In each country, conditions and prohibitions are established to carry out work with conditions of wind, snow, intense rain or cases of dust clouds.
Prevention measures: safety nets
- The nets will be secured with a perimeter rope, other fasteners, or a combination of both.
- Nets that prevent falls (such as type U or those with perimeter closure) always have priority over safety nets systems that only limit or mitigate thefalls (such as type V, type S, type T and formwork safety nets).
- The collection area will always be free of obstacles, thus preventing workers who fall into it being injured.
Safety measures for horizontal or vertical gap coverage
- The elements that cover the gaps must be repaired and duly marked so that no one can walk on them. The most advisable thing is to protect them with type S safety nets and with temporary protection systems under the slab.
- It is highly recommended to maintain the visibility and marking of the hole itself.